I've spent countless hours reading to my boys over the years. After the chaos of the day, it was always a time of relaxation and comfort. Although they are now 16 and 12, we continue to include family reading through audio books on long car rides. I also still enjoy searching for books to read together and can now ask for their opinion on the story and it's message.
Jacob has become my collaborator in reviewing books that might support our #ChooseKind message. He and I read the books together and decide if it's a "keeper" for our list. Wonder by R.J. Palacio is, of course, our favorite book to share the #ChooseKind message. Because it's a story best for ages 10+, however, we are often asked for picture book recommendations about kindness.
Listed below are books on our shelf that we've read together and feel worthy of recommending to young readers. Several of these books speak directly about kindness and empathy while others are ones we've enjoyed because of their positive message and engaging story.
We hope you enjoy one of our recommendations and sneak in some extra snuggle time with your little one(s). We are always looking for book suggestions, so please share your favorites by posting in the comments.
Picture Books about Kindness, Empathy, Being Different, and Anti-Bullying
- We're All Wonders by R.J. Palacio - To be released on March 28, 2017 (obviously we haven't read this one yet, but how can it not be included?!)
- Love Monster by Rachel Bright - Perfect for Valentine's Day!
- Kindness is Cooler Mrs. Ruler by Margery Cuyler
- Be Who You Are by Todd Parr
- It's Okay to Be Different by Todd Parr
- What Does it Mean to be Kind? by Rana DiOrio
- Last Stop on Market Street by Matt DeLa Peña
- Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
- Kindness Counts by Bryan Smith
- Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully by Audrey Penn
- My Secret Bully by Trudy Ludwig
- Exclamation Mark by Amy Krouse Resenthal & Tom Lichtenheld
- The Berenstain Bears: Kindness Counts by Jan & Mike Berenstain
- What Was I Scared Of? by Dr. Seuss
- Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. Seuss
- Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss
Picture Books about Self-Esteem or a Positive Life Lesson
- Incredible Me! by Kathi Appelt
- Yes: Life is Waiting. Are You Ready? by Kobi Yamada
- What Do You Do with and Idea? by Kobi Yamada
- You Can be Anything! by Charles M. Schulz
- When I Feel Angry by Cornelia Maude Spelman
- Find Your Happy by M.H. Clark
- I'm Gonna Like Me by Jamie Lee Curtis & Laura Cornell
- Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
- Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? by Dr. Seuss